Spencer G. Hornstein, DDS, MAGD
Dr. Spencer Hornstein’s father practiced dentistry in New York City while he was growing up. Dr. Hornstein appreciated oral health, as well as the science and art of dentistry, from a young age. In 1981 Dr. Hornstein graduated from New York University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology. After graduating from Howard University Dental School in 1985, Dr. Hornstein completed a General Practice Residency at Sydenham NFCC/Harlem Hospital Center at Columbia University in New York City.
Dr. Hornstein is a Master in the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD). Less than one percent of dentists achieve this honor, which requires meeting a stringent set of requirements outlined by the AGD. To obtain a mastership, Dr. Hornstein first had to become a Fellow, which requires three years of continuous AGD membership, 500 hours of continuing education (CE) credits, and passing a 400-question exam covering all disciplines of dentistry. Mastership in the AGD requires an additional 1,100 hours of CE, 400 of which must be hands-on courses and 600 of which should be in specific disciplines of dentistry. Dr. Hornstein was also required to present examples of certain cases completed in his office to colleagues who are Masters. Upon achieving Mastership, he was awarded a Governor’s Citation from the State of Maryland and a Declaration by the State Senate for achieving this prestigious title.
Well-known throughout the state of Maryland for his dedication to special needs dentistry, Dr. Hornstein is equipped to handle cases many dentists can’t or won’t. These cases range from patients with extreme dental fears to those who face physical, developmental, or psychological challenges. One of the only dentists in the Bethesda area to see special needs patients, Dr. Hornstein treats patients three and up, including seniors with Alzheimer’s disease. Dr. Hornstein’s gentle and compassionate nature puts patients at ease, and over two decades of service has provided him with the skills and experience to intuitively know what each patient needs in order to feel comfortable and safe in his care.
He continues to expand his knowledge and skills by attending classes, seminars, and hands-on training events. He is also on the board of the Maryland foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped, which provides free dental care to mentally or physically challenged patients in the state of Maryland.
- Master in the Academy of General Dentistry
- Fellow in the Academy of Laser Dentistry (ALD) (Active Member since 2001)
- Board of Directors – Foundation for Dentistry for the Handicapped (MFDH) (Providing free access to dental care to underprivileged Maryland residents with special needs)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- Maryland State Dental Association (MSDA)
- Southern Maryland Dental Association (SMDA)
- American Society for Geriatric Dentistry (ASGD)
- American Association of Hospital Dentists (AAHD)
- Academy of Dentistry for Persons with Disabilities (ADPD)
- Executive Board – Maimonides Dental Society from 2008-2011 – (Washington DC’s oldest and largest Dental Study club)
- Potomac Valley Dental Study Club
- Zupnick, Winson, Chen Implant Study Club
- Course Speaker on Laser Dentistry, 2002 District of Columbia Dental Meeting Maryland
- Jewish Foundation for Group Homes
- CSAAC Service Coordination of Montgomery County
- Maryland ARC of Montgomery County
Experience the Difference
Dentistry of Bethesda provides compassionate, personalized dental care for all members of your family, including those with special needs. Contact Bethesda dentist Dr. Spencer Hornstein today at (301) 530-2700 to schedule your consultation. We happily treat patients from Silver Spring, North Bethesda, Rockville, Chevy Chase, Potomac, and the surrounding areas.