Achieving Optimal Oral Health with a Full-Mouth Reconstruction in Bethesda
A full-mouth reconstruction is a term that describes the process of treating a number of extensive oral health issues systematically to restore optimal dental health. Many patients put off seeing a dentist for so long that, once their problems become painful and affect oral function, they are embarrassed to seek help. If your teeth ache constantly, or if you find yourself only able to chew on one side of your mouth, don’t let your embarrassment prevent you from obtaining help from Bethesda dentist Dr. Spencer Hornstein. Using a thorough and systematic evaluation process, which will include the use of digital X-rays and DIAGNOdent, he will pinpoint your individual problems and devise a treatment plan to restore your ability to chew, speak, and smile without pain.
Evaluation of Oral Health Issues
To determine what oral health issues you have, Dr. Hornstein will evaluate your:
- Teeth. We will examine your teeth for signs of cavities, cracks, acid erosion, or abnormal wear.
- Jaws and bite. Dr. Hornstein will check the way your teeth meet when you bite, as well as check your jaw joints and surrounding muscles for signs of TMJ disorder.
- Gums. Swollen or bleeding gums, as well as periodontal pockets greater than 3 mm, indicate the presence of periodontal disease.
- Appearance. While making your mouth functional and pain-free is the main objective of a full-mouth reconstruction, Dr. Hornstein always keeps aesthetics in mind when treating patients. If your smile can benefit from cosmetic dentistry procedures to change the appearance of your teeth or gums, we will offer appropriate aesthetic treatments as part of your reconstruction.
Procedures We May Use
To restore your teeth and gums to optimal health and function, Dr. Hornstein may perform several procedures, including:
- Periodontal therapy. Treatment for gum disease may include the use of the LightWalker laser to remove hard calculus from the tooth roots and sterilize periodontal pockets to promote healing of infected tissues.
- Restorative dentistry. To restore teeth that are decayed, damaged, or infected, your Bethesda dentist may place fillings or crowns or perform root canal therapy. To replace teeth that cannot be saved and must be extracted, we offer functional and natural-looking bridges, dentures, and dental implant restorations.
- TMJ disorder and bruxism treatment. To help you achieve the ideal jaw position and relieve TMJ pain, Dr. Hornstein may create a custom oral splint or nightguard, as well as rebuild your tooth structure with crowns or veneers to achieve proper occlusion. For more severe bite issues, he may refer you to an orthodontist or oral surgeon for treatment.
- Cosmetic dentistry. Your psychological health is as important to Dr. Hornstein as your physical health, so he offers procedures such as teeth whitening, bonding, tooth contouring, veneers, and gum lifts to increase your confidence and give you a reason to smile.
Experience the Difference
Dentistry of Bethesda provides compassionate, personalized dental care for all members of your family, including those with special needs. Contact Bethesda dentist Dr. Spencer Hornstein today at (301) 530-2700 to schedule your consultation. We happily treat patients from Silver Spring, North Bethesda, Rockville, Chevy Chase, Potomac, and the surrounding areas.